Not very much is known about The Green Man on Kirkgate.
It was listed in the 1822 census as an Inn. Early licencees were William Duxbury (1829), Joseph Fortune (1834) and Joseph Curtis (1837).
In 1870 Samuel Green was Licensee and on a lintel in the yard (Walker’s Yard?) to the rear can be seen the name “Catharine Gree.” This can only be thought of as being Catharine Green the wife of Samuel.
In February 1880, Wm Walker & Sons gave Notice to Quit to the Representatives of the late Sam Green. On the 20th October in the same year, Messrs. E. & A. Walker granted a Lease to Richard Taylor.
It is believed that the Inn (or part of it) was demolished around 1883/1885.
Wharfedale Observer article from 2007:
125 years ago
We understand the pub closed in 1883 and is currently occupied by Bargain Booze on Kirkgate