The Blue Bell
The Blue Bell no longer exists as an inn. The last landlord was Martin Jennings in 1928 when the licence was not renewed. In 1822 it was listed as being in the Market Place (the Cattle Market) before being named Manor Square), with the stables and brewhouse at the rear and entered from Clapgate (now known as part of Manor Square). It became Whitaker’s confectioner’s shop in 1934. In 1967 Joseph Teale took over the shop from Halfords. The property was empty in 1981 and later the adjoining National Westminster Bank extended their business into this property which now forms the right hand part of the Bank.