The Red Lion
Where we are
Otley, LS21 3HN
Tel: 01943 462343
Mon – Wed 12.00 – 11.00 Thurs 12.00 – 12.00 Fri – Sat 12.00 – 01.00 Sun 12.00 – 11.00
What we offer
A home made menu available with some dishes changing on a daily basis, all meat and vegetables are from local traders and not supermarkets or national wholesalers.
All cask ales are from from local suppliers, Copper Dragons Golden Pippin and The Best, Wharfebanks Tether Blonde and Leeds Brewery Yorkshire Gold
Families and children welcome
On road parking
Fri: Disco / Karaoke
Sat: Disco / Karaoke
Future plans in place to renovate upstairs function room to accomodate the Fri/Sat nights Disco,s etc and open mic nights
Pool table in games room.
The Red Lion History
This building is a Mid 18th century Georgian Inn. Although built after the adjacent Whitakers Arms, it has been a Pub for a longer period than its neighbour. The first Landlord on record is John Read in 1821. There were a few more Landlords before Mr. George Spence took over in 1883. He died a couple of years later when the Licence then passed to his son Daniel T. Spence. In October 1933, he completed 50 years as a licence-holder in the Otley division and was presented with a walnut chiming clock by his fellow members of the Otley & District Licensed Victuallers’ Association. Mr. Spence had held the licence of the Red Lion for 48 years without a stain and blemish, and before that, was for two years licensee of the Roebuck Inn at Clifton where he was born and where his father held the licence for 32 years
Sadly, in 1934, Mr. Dan Spence died at the age of 74 being Otley’s oldest licensee. His widow, Mary Spence then ran it until her death in 1947. Her daughter, Mrs. Kate R. Paterson held it for 21 years and was assisted by her sister, Mrs. Allen. After Mrs. Paterson’s death in October 1968, Mrs. Allen carried on until arrangements could be made for the transfer of the licence. Mrs. Ethel Allen left in April 1969. Robert and Shirley Atkinson (who for some years had kept the grocers and off-licence shop “Jersey Dairy” in Westgate took over, followed by Walter and Mary Hamby. In September 1988, John Smiths Tadcaster Breweries Ltd. purchased the free house from Mr. & Mrs. Hamby so they could retire.
John and Penelope Burke then took over, followed by several Landlords since.