The Bowling Green (Wetherspoon)
photo by Ian Stuart (Otley Camera Club)
Where we are
Otley, LS21 3AB
Tel: 01943 858980
Mon – Thurs 08.00 – Midnight,
Fri – Sat 08.00 – 01.00,
Sun 08.00 – 11.00pm
Web Site: The Bowling Green
What we offer
Full menu served daily . See website for menus .
Wide Range, changing regularily
Public Car Parking nearby
No entertainment (TV Screens and WIFI)
The Bowling Green History
The Bowling Green, built in 1757 as a Court House was known as the Assembly Rooms until 1825 when it took its present name. According to the plaque on the wall, it was built in 1767, formerly a chapel, school, courthouse and assembly rooms becoming an Inn during 1866.” However, it would appear from records that it was an Inn before that date as in 1830 John Rowland was Innkeeper.
In 1963, Hammond United Brewers applied for planning consent to erect a porch to the front of the building which was passed but then later removed when Weatherspoons were altering the property.
The last Landlord was Trevor Wallis who had been there for just over 30 years and in 2006 he decided it was time for him to retire. Over the years he had collected a lot of memorabilia which could be seen all round the pub. This was sold off by auction in September 2006.
At the end of September 2006, it was announced in the press that the Bowling Green Pub had been saved from being turned into flats – by one of the country’s largest pub chains. It was feared that the listed building would be converted into homes after planning permission was approved, but it was then later revealed that the Pub had been bought by J. D. Wetherspoon.
However, in November 2006, Wetherspoons planned to re-open the Bowling Green pub which raised objections from the police as they were known for its cheap beer and long opening hours. The West Yorkshire Police objected to the application on crime and disorder grounds. Also, nearby residents were concerned about extended licensing hours and an increase in drunken and anti-social behaviour fuelled by cheap beer. In addition, the town’s MP Greg Mulholland had also written to Wetherspoon wanting assurance that it would open as a Wetherspoon outlet and not a Lloyds – a branch of the company with a reputation for music and a younger clientele.
Later that month, Wetherspoon were granted a licence to run the Bowling Green Pub but last orders would have to be earlier than what they would have like and several other conditions had to be observed. The building stood empty for a couple of years until it eventually re-opened on the 9th July 2010 and Wetherspoon retained its original name.