OTLEY PUB CLUB: MAY MEETING
THIS MONTH’S MEETING, Thursday 03 May
After several months of seeing me say that our meetings will now be on the first Wednesday of the month, you might be more than a little surprised – confused even – to see that the one in May is back to the first Thursday! That’s because this won’t be the usual committee meeting followed by a mini-pub crawl round town, but a special event presented by a beer sommelier from the beer quality auditing organisation CASK MARQUE. For that reason, this meeting will not be free to attend – but read on to see what’s being offered and why you should really come along to the Horse & Farrier next Thursday night!
CASK MARQUE BEER TASTING MASTERCLASS
This event will take place on Thursday May 3rd at 7.30pm
Horse & Farrier, Bridge Street, Otley
Otley Pub Club and Cask Marque, the body that assesses beer quality in pubs nationwide, have teamed up to offer a beer tasting masterclass in the Horse & Farrier. Annabel Smith, a sommelier and assessor for Cask Marque, will give ale enthusiasts the inside story on what makes a beer taste great and what beer drinkers should look for in taste, aroma and appearance of a good beer. Even better, she’ll have some examples of what beer SHOULDN’T taste like, so you can be more confident when taking one back that isn’t right!
Cask Marque is an independent body that makes 20,000 pub visits a year with its 45 assessors to check on the quality of a good pint and award their organisation’s accreditation to pubs that meet their standard. Annabel herself is a real expert, with a wealth of experience – just look at her CV:
- Annabel is an ex-publican turned training manager for the Cask Marque Trust. She was the first female Beer Inspector for Cask Marque Trust in 2005 and remains the organisation’s training manager.
- In 2015 she founded BeerBelle, a company specialising in developing and delivering bespoke beer related training courses and events for corporate and consumer clients.
- She was one of the first female Beer Sommeliers accredited by the Beer Academy and is a founder member of Dea Latis, the group set up to advocate the appeal of beer to women. She is also an Institute of Brewing and Distilling accredited tutor.
- She is a member of the British Guild of Beer Writers and contributes articles and blogs to both trade and consumer press, including the Daily Telegraph, The Guardian and The Times. She hosts tutored beer tastings throughout the UK for a diverse range of clients, and advises on matching food with beer for a number of organisations and companies.
- Annabel was voted the 2017 Imbibe Educator of the Year.
These are the subjects she will cover:
- Where beer came from
- Beer Ingredients
- How to evaluate each beer style [We’ll be tasting 5 on the night]
- Information about each beer style
- Why each beer style goes with particular food
- When beer goes wrong, and why
- Difference between cask, keg and bottled beer
- All interspersed with completely useless beer facts but things you never knew about beer!
Entry to the Otley Beer Masterclass will be £5 on the door, upstairs at the Horse and Farrier. Come early to avoid being disappointed, as numbers will be restricted to about 20.
OR, IF YOU PREFER GIN TO BEER
Just a reminder of another evening gin tasting event in THE STEW & OYSTER this Wednesday night, April 25th, starting at 20:00. Taste your way through 6 different gins; learn about what goes into making them, and about the history of gin; finish the night off with your favourite G&T. They’ve partnered with Mason’s Gin to bring you this amazing evening and only a handful of tickets are left, so please book right away to avoid disappointment! More details on their Facebook page.
GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS
Due to the upcoming GDPR (General Data Protection Regulations) changes in May 2018, you will no doubt have been getting requests from here, there and everywhere asking for your consent to continue to hold your email address. We are no different.
You will know by now that we use your email address only to send out our newsletters and invitations to meetings. Very rarely we send out an ad hoc email to let you know about a special
upcoming event or potential stories of interest. We will never share your details with anyone outside our organisation, and your consent will cover the following:
- letting us keep you informed of news about Otley Pub Club, and other pub-related or more general Otley-related stories, events and occasions, as they arise.
- allowing us to invite you to Otley Pub Club meetings and events, and sometimes to ask for your help or contributions to the services we provide;
Please let us know if you no longer consent to our holding your email address for the purposes outlined above. You can of course withdraw your consent at any time by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or to email@example.com
SOME MORE PUB STUFF
A bit more information from a couple of pubs, which wasn’t included in the last newsletter cos it came in a bit late!
We have begun our fund raising for Hannah Cockcrofts visit for Yorkshire Day for one of the Charities she is patron of Project 53 have already raised over £200 we are hosting a Barbecue when TdY comes to town for the YAA As well as selling commemorative T shirts ,a raffle as well as live music on Friday night.
That same weekend we are endeavouring to fill a coach to support our barman Patrick Phipps and Otliensians at Twickenham, Coach , breakfast, admission and a pint on our return all for thirty pounds.
Tuesday . April 24th Rory Hol t.b.c.
Saturday. April 28th Red Delta
Monday. Happy Monday and Key Quest 7pm Jackpot Monday 16th £550 plus Tony’s. Yorkshire Tapas
Tuesday’s. Live. Music
Wednesday Quiz Night £20.£10 cash prizes plus at least three other prizes and raffle £1per team free supper
Last Thursday of the month Open Mike
Saturdays Live Music
Sunday Radio Celia
Follow us on Facebook
Exciting things happening at the Tavern.
We have just agreed a sponsorship deal with Otliensians.
We are still looking for contestants for our Darts tournament June which will be held over two week running u
p to Yorkshire day. Dickie Bird is hoping to attend the final. The tournament is the Dave Callaghan Memorial and all proceeds to the Dickie Bird Foundation in pool in wharfedale.
Starting soon on Thursday night’s we will have Rock n Roll night.
Usual Fri Sat night entertainment.
Also coming soon will be our new in house entertainment system.
Promo currently on. Buy 2 get one free on all draught. Mon to Wed all day and Thursday 12 to 7pm.
We show sky sports and btsports. Starting from May we will be showing the box office boxing.
24 April 2018